The Loretto Rainbow
The Loretto Rainbow was a literary quarterly which served as the official publication of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary in North America. The purpose of the magazine was two-fold first, to cultivate the literary taste of the pupils and to encourage young Catholic women-writers by giving them a Catholic magazine of their own during school years, while encouraging an active interest in the Catholic press in post-school years. The second purpose was to serve as a link between the schools of the Institute by exchanging news and keeping pupils and friends in touch with “Loretto” activities.
The magazine was edited by a joint staff of students and their religious teachers. It was founded by Mother Filomena Clancy at Loretto Academy in Niagara Falls in 1892, and was published as the Loretto Leaflets until 1906 when the name was changed to the Niagara Rainbow. As more of the Loretto schools became involved, it was called simply The Rainbow and by 1933, became the general Loretto magazine under the name, The Loretto Rainbow.
The contributors included not only the staff and students of Loretto schools in North America, but also of houses of the Institute abroad. As well, leading articles by distinguished writers in varied walks of life were included.
The magazine was published until 1959 under the general editorship of the following faculty members:
- Mother Filomena Clancy (nom de plume, “Karalice”), 1892 – 1916
- Mother Alberta Chilton (“Hildegarde”), 1916 – 1936
- Mother Bernard Donnelly, 1936 – 1948
- Mother Margaret Ordway and Mother Marcia Smyth, 1948 – 1959