1910 December 8 St. Michael’s became the fourth College in the Faculty of Arts and received equal status with University College, Victoria College, and Trinity College. The collège classique programme was replaced with the University’s pass and honours courses. The graduates in the following year were graduates of St. Michael’s College in the Faculty of Arts in the University of Toronto.
In the years leading up to 1911, both religious congregations were committed to providing post-secondary opportunities to young women for teacher education and university degrees. As early as 1908, both congregations began requesting the affiliation of their Colleges along the same lines as St. Hilda’s Anglican Women’s College.
The Sisters of St. Joseph provided accommodations for post-secondary women –students attending University and Normal School. Those in residence at St. Joseph’s lived on the top floor of the Motherhouse.
1911 October 10 In answer to the “pressing claims of St. Joseph’s and Loretto for affiliation”, Sir Robert Falconer, then President of the University of Toronto, wrote to Sir William Meredith seeking a meeting of the Committee on Affiliation to deal with the matter.
1911 The Very Rev. Nicholas Roche, CSB, Superior of St. Michael’s College, informed the Sisters that St. Michael’s, the Catholic College of the University of Toronto Federation, was registering women students, and that St. Joseph’s and Loretto were to share in the privilege of instructing these students in Latin, English, French and German. The University of Toronto would grant degrees.
1910-11 Loretto College began its existence at Loretto Abbey, 403 Wellington St., where it shared space in the Loretto Motherhouse with the Academy School. The Loretto Sisters retained in residence, a group of their outstanding secondary school graduates, and instructed them in the first-year university subjects. This arrangement was the origin of “Loretto Abbey College.”
The first Dean was Mother Estelle Nolan, and the faculty comprised Mothers Margarita O’Connor, Gertrude Gumpricht, and Lucilla Breen.
1911 St. Joseph’s College was established in 1911 for women students of St. Michael’s College in the University of Toronto. The first college classes at St. Joseph’s were given on the second floor of the Academy. University girls lived on the top floor of the convent. See St. Joseph's Notables
1912 Ten Loretto Abbey students under the direction of Mother Estelle Nolan registered in the University of Toronto through St. Michael’s College. Three were prepared to begin Second Year of the Arts course, and seven, to begin First Year.
1912 Nine St. Joseph’s College students registered through St. Michael’s College.
1912 The inaugural issue of Saint Joseph Lilies edited by Rev. Mother M. Irene and Miss Gertrude Lawler is published
. » Find out more about Saint Joseph Lilies
1914 Enrolment at St. Michael’s College passed 100 in the year 1913-1914 with 85 men and 29 women enrolled
1913 September The Newman Club opened at 97 St. Joseph Street in a house purchased by Archbishop Neil McNeil. The Catholic Women’s Club of the University of Toronto (founded in 1908) merged into the newly founded Newman Club in October. On November 7 the first meeting of the Newman Club for the election of officers was held at 97 St. Joseph Street.
1914 Sr. Mary Agnes Murphy was the first woman, and the first Sister to receive a degree from St. Michael’s College after it became a federated college.
» Sisters of St. Joseph professors
1915 June Four lay women from Loretto College graduated from the University of Toronto.
1916 Miss Madeline Burns was the first lay graduate from St. Joseph’s College. Two of her daughters later became members of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto.
1917 St. Joseph’s College residence was located for one year at 25 Queen’s Park – St. Joseph’s University Hall -- owned by the Basilians. Building was later expropriated by the Ontario Government to build offices.
1918 September 16 To alleviate crowding at Loretto Abbey, the Loretto College student body moved to the newly constructed “Loretto Abbey Day School” at 387 Brunswick Avenue in September, 1918. Here the College shared space in the High School and had residence accommodation for a number of the College students. The school’s name was accordingly changed to “Loretto Abbey College and Day School.”
Mother Margarita O’Connor was Dean; other faculty members were Mothers Estelle Nolan, Athanasia Quinlivan, Dorothea Barry, Gertrude Gumpricht, Lucilla Breen, and St. Clare McEachen. Distance from the University campus was still a major disadvantage, but was accepted cheerfully. Social life among the students of the Catholic unit was still an individual affair, with Newman Club the chief meeting ground.
1918 Before 1918 Graduates of the two women colleges attended convocation at Convocation Hall, and private graduations were held at the sister colleges. This was the arrangement until 1918 when Loretto College moved to Brunswick Avenue and the sister colleges took turns entertaining the graduates. When the celebration began to rotate in 1918, St. Joseph’s took the first turn. Fr. Muckle, CSB was chairman of the entertainment in which four Loretto graduates, five St. Joseph graduates and five young men from St. Michael’s participated.