- About the Forum
- Undergraduate Journals Fair
- Information for Forum
- Tab 6
SMC Undergraduate Research Forum
Wednesday February 4th, 2015, 11am - 2pm
SMC Principal Domenico Pietropaolo and the Kelly Library invite you to submit a proposal for the Forum.
To apply, please read the guidelines below. Applications are due January 5th, 2015, by 11:59pm.
About the Poster Presentation
A poster presentation communicates your research through concise text and visuals. A poster session at a conference allows researchers to present their research in a visual format. A poster presents the main points and ideas from the research while using visuals. A poster presentation is an excellent way to experience graduate or professional studies.
For example of posters in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Science discipline, visit: https://aresty.rutgers.edu/about-aresty/spotlight/2013-best-poster-awards
Step 1. Submit an abstract and your best research paper or project between October 1st, 2014 and January 5th, 2015. Successful participants will be notified by January 9th, 2015. Apply online here.
- The paper/project can be on any topic but must be a research-based.
- The paper/project can be from any year of study.
- The paper/project submitted must be accompanied by a reference letter or e-mail by the professor from course.
- A reference letter template for faculty/research supervisors is attached to the application form.
Step 2. Turn Your Paper Into a Poster
Participating students then summarize their research into posters and present it at the Undergraduate Research Forum on February 4th, 2015.
Three students will be selected to receive an award based on poster design and the quality of the research. Winners will be selected by a judging panel. Participants are responsible for printing their own posters.
Who May Apply?
- St. Michael’s College students.
- Students enrolled in a St. Michael’s College programs
- You get a certificate of participation.
- One winner from each category receives $500 (Science, Social Science & Humanities).
- You gain invaluable experience designing and presenting an academic poster.
- You share your research with professors and other students.
Wednesday October 1st | 11am to 2pm
Kelly Café | Ground Floor, Kelly Library
The SMC principal and the Kelly Library are hosting an Undergraduate Journals Fair! The purpose of the event is to bring together undergraduate journals to inspire and encourage undergraduate students to engage in scholarly writing and publishing.
The following undergraduate journals will be at the Fair:
Acta Victoriana (Literary)
Almagest (History and the Philosophy of Science)
The Foolscap (Book and Media Studies):
The Future of History (Historical Inquiry)
HUMANITAS (Victoria College)
Redventure (Creative Writing – Zines)
Saeculum (Christianity and Culture)
The Undergraduate Journal of Political Science (Political Science)
The Undergraduate Journal of American Studies (Centre for the Study of the United States)
- Prepare a poster (36” L x 48” W), or (3’ x 4’) and submit an electronic version to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Prepare a 5-10 minute presentation for the judging panel
- Attend a Poster Presentation Workshop offered by the Research and Academic Skills Centre (RASC). The workshop will cover presentation skills and poster design for the Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences.
Computer Lab | Room 232, Kelly Library
Selected participants will be required to attend a Research and Academic Skills Centre (RASC) workshop on presenting research. If students are unable to attend the workshop, they can seek alternative arrangements with Silvia Vong through email: email@example.com
Kelly Café | Main Floor, Kelly Library
To promote the development of research skills among first and second year students, Richard Carter, Research and Academic Skills Centre (RASC) Co-ordinator will be running a Research Scavenger Hunt. Students will be given a series of clues and tasks related to research in the Library. A $100 prize will be awarded to the student who completes the tasks correctly and in a timely manner.
Wednesday February 4th | 5pm to 7pm
Certificates and prizes will be distributed at the reception from 5:00 – 7:00 pm.