Skip to main content
Undergraduate Study

Newly Admitted Students

ST. MICHAEL’S COLLEGE is one of the largest and most vibrant colleges in the Faculty of Arts & Science at the U of T. Founded in 1852 and rich in both history and tradition, St. Mike’s, on the well treed east side of the St. George campus, will be your home base starting in September.

Your years at university will be some of the most exciting and memorable of your life. Not only will you learn from some of the most distinguished minds in the world, but you will make friends and create memories that will last a lifetime. St. Mike’s and the University of Toronto are committed to making our students aware of the wealth of possibilities on campus and in the city. We will present you with opportunities to learn outside the classroom so that you can complement your academic activities with real world experience.

St Mike’s Research and Academic Skills Centre (RASC) is a free service available to all undergraduates at the College.  The Centre’s aim is to provide students with a supportive environment in which they learn the skills of critical thinking and reading in relation to academic research and writing.

RASC also offers individual appointments and workshops to address issues such as time management, planning a successful year and effective studying. Full details are available at

St. Mike’s is proud to have the largest College library on campus, a completely refurbished commuter lounge and café, a motivated student government, and a wide range of student clubs, activities and services.

Join one of the many intramural sports team, volunteer with our Out of the Cold program, take part in student government, join the staff of the student newspaper, perform in our monthly talent show, or audition for a St. Mike’s musical.

Whatever your academic, extra-curricular or career goals, you have taken a fine first step. We look forward to seeing you soon!

St. Michael’s College
Office of the Registrar and Student Services

Muzzo Family Alumni Hall, Room 207
121 St. Joseph Street, Toronto ON M5S 3C2

Posted  November 2014

LIVING IN RESIDENCE provides you with the convenience of being just steps away from your classes, along with all the other unique opportunities that downtown Toronto has to offer. It’s an ideal way to experience the independence of living on your own but with a support network to help guide you through the transition. Each of our residence houses is assigned its own Don who is responsible for fostering community, promoting social and educational events, as well as ensuring the rules of residence are being followed.

St Mike’s offers two separate residence operations:

1. SMC Residence which accommodates both men and women
2. Loretto College Residence which accommodates women only

Male students who have indicated an interest in residence on the University of Toronto’s common residence application (MyRes) will receive information from the SMC Residence only, while female students will receive information from both residences. This information will be sent to you via email so be sure that your email account accepts messages from the domain. You may also want to check your junk mail folder regularly just in case.

The University of Toronto guarantees residence to freshmen students providing: 

1. They indicated an interest in residence by completing the University’s Common Residence Application (MyRes) by March 31, 2015;
2. They receive and accept their offer of admission to the university by June 1, 2015; and
3. They pay their residence deposit ($600) by the due date on their offer letter/email.   

Any students who would like to live in residence but who do not qualify for the guarantee should visit the St. Mike’s residence website for information on how to apply to the waitlist.

Duane Rendle, Dean of Students

St. Michael’s College Residence
81 St. Mary Street
Toronto, ON M5S 1J4
+1 416-926-7127

Angela Convertini, Dean of Women

Loretto College Residence
70 St. Mary Street
Toronto, ON M5S 1J3
+1 416-925-2833

Posted  November 2014

Your Offer

Make sure you accept your offer of admission by the stated deadline.

Your Accommodation

If you have confirmed your interest in residence on the U of T Common Residence Application (MyRes), look for your offer sent via email from the SMC Residence or Loretto College. Please make sure your email account accepts messages from the ‘’ domain. You may also want to check your ‘junk’ mail folder regularly just in case.

Make sure you accept your residence offer and pay your deposit by the stated deadline.

If you require housing off campus, the UofT Student Housing Services will be able to assist you in your search.

Your Courses

Check the Faculty of Arts & Science Course Calendar and Registration Handbook & Time­table.

We expect the 2015-2016 information will be available by mid-April.  Both documents are available only on-line. There are no print versions.

Attend the spring SMC Welcome Event & Academic Orientation Session on Saturday, JUNE 6, 2015 or one of the Academic Orientation Sessions in JULY. If you cannot attend any of these sessions at the College, much of the information may be found on St. Mike’s Newly Admitted Students website. Check the Newly Admitted Students Bulletins page.

Students admitted into First Year will be able to view their start time on ROSI in MID-JULY and will begin to enrol in their courses at end of July. Exact dates will be posted by late April. Transfer students admitted into Second or Third Year register earlier.

Check the Faculty of Arts & Science Registration Handbook & Time­table.  Familiarize yourself with UofT's on-line registration and records system (ROSI).

We expect that you will have web access on your start date and time. Course selection continues until mid-September but students who delay selecting courses may find many courses and labs filled.

Your Finances

Make sure that you have adequate funding available to cover your costs for the upcoming year. Budget prudently.

If you are an Ontario resident and require financial assistance, apply for the Ontario Student Assistance Plan (OSAP) as early as possible and no later than JUNE 15 in order to ensure a response prior to September.

If you are from out of province, check with your local funding agency about relevant deadlines.

Your Payment

Pay 65% of your first installment of your academic tuition fee OR defer your fees by MID-AUGUST. Instructions will be in the online 2015-2016 Registration Handbook and Timetable. For full details on paying from within Canada or from abroad, see

If you are accepting an offer to residence, be sure to pay your minimum installment according to the instructions in your acceptance letter.

Additional Information

Beginning in June, obtain your UofT student card (TCard).  Once you have your TCard, activate your UTORID and your UTmail+ account. (You don’t need your TCard or your UofT email account in order to select courses.)

Watch for information about St. Mike’s Orientation Week on the St. Mike’s Newly Admitted Students website.

Classes begin Monday, September 14.

UofT Resources

Faculty of Arts & Science Information for Newly Admitted Students > Next Steps

Posted  November 2014

These FAQs are intended to offer advice which is generally applicable. Students should always consult the relevant official U of T sites for complete information

Last updated July 29, 2014.

When do I have to accept the offer of admission?

Accept your offer of admission by the deadline stated in your Letter of Offer. If you have already accepted another university's offer and would like to change your mind, you may accept U of T's offer and the previous acceptance will automatically be cancelled. You do this on-line through OUAC.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

How do I know if I have received an admission scholarship?

Scholarship offers are included with the offer of admission. There are some scholarships for new SMC students awarded at a later date. These scholarships require an application. For details see
Last updated July 29, 2014.


For all information about the residences at St. Michael’s College including late application, please contact the SMC Residence (men and women) or Loretto College (women only) SMC Residence 416-926-7127 or Loretto College 416-925-2833 or For other on and of campus housing questions, please check
Last updated July 29, 2014.

What if I want to defer my offer of admission?

It is possible under certain circumstances to defer your offer of admission for one year. See information at
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Can I switch to SMC from another college on admission?

New students interested in transferring to SMC from another Arts and Science college should submit their request by e-mail to Damon Chevrier, Registrar at
The deadline is the end of June.
Please include a brief statement with your full name, your student number, describe the benefit you hope to derive from membership in the college and what contributions you feel you could make to the SMC community. Before requesting a college transfer, please keep these points in mind. We may not be able to guarantee you a spot in one of the SMC residences. If you have a housing guarantee you might be offered a residence which is not at SMC. If you have been given an admission scholarship by your original college, you may forfeit it if you transfer colleges. Contact your original college for details. We will make most decisions in early July and notify students by e-mail.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Can I switch to another college from SMC on admission?

Please contact the college you are interested in for advice. SMC does not offer assistance in transferring to other Arts and Science colleges.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Can I switch admission categories? (e.g. from Humanities to Life Science)

It is not possible to switch admissions categories after you have been admitted. (For instance you can’t switch from social science to life science or from humanities to computer science.) However, most of the time this is not a significant issue and will not limit what you study. There are six admission categories. The fact that you are admitted to one does not mean that you can’t take courses or programs in the others with one important exception. If you were not admitted as a commerce student there is very little possibility of being admitted to a commerce program even if you take the correct 100 level courses and have the required grades. Last year, across all seven colleges, about 10 non Commerce students were admitted to commerce. The chances are so slight that it can’t be seen as a likely outcome.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

What is the practical consequence of being in an admission category?

Being in a particular admission category may give you preference when it comes to selecting 100 level courses which are associated with that category. Here are some examples. Find BIO120H at Find the enrolment control and indicator at the far right of the BIO120H1 line. There is a P. P stands for Priority. That means that some group of students enjoys priority. Click on “See Details” to find out who enjoys priority.
It says 1st Year Studies in Life Sciences. The priority is lifted on Aug 8 and any remaining space is open to any student. In large introductory courses there is almost always space available after the end of the Priority period. See full details at
Find CHM138H at 1st Year Students in Life Sciences and Mathematical & Physical Sciences enjoy priority. Find HIS102Y1 at 1st Year Students in Humanities and Social Sciences enjoy priority. Find VIS120H1 at 1st Year Students in Humanities and Social Sciences enjoy priority.
However, many 100 level courses don’t give priority by admission category and that is what makes it surprisingly easy to take a variety of courses and/or programs in the sciences, social sciences or humanities. This is one of the strengths of the faculty – the ability to take a mix of courses and programs.
Here are examples of 100 level courses which give priority to any 1st year student. Find ECO100Y sections L0301, L0401 and L5101 at These sections are open to any 1st year student who is not in Commence. (You will see that Commerce students have their own sections.)
Find GGR100H at
All 1st year students enjoy priority. Here are examples of 100 level courses which have completely open enrolment.
Find MAT135H at There is no enrolment control so this course is open to any student.
Find PSY100H at There is no enrolment control so this course is open to any student.
Find SOC101Y1 section L0101 at
There is no enrolment control so this section is open to any student. Many 200 and higher level courses also have enrolment controls but they won’t be associated with an admission category. They will be associated with various programs and sometimes the year of study.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Am I eligible for transfer credit for courses completed in high school?

If you have taken any of the following you may be eligible for transfer credit - Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, French Baccalaureate, GCE (U.K or Singapore), CAPE, Cambridge Pre-U or Hong Kong Advanced levels See details at
Last updated July 29, 2014.

What about transfer credit for courses completed in another division of the U of T or at a post secondary institution?

If you are eligible for transfer credit, you will be prompted in your offer of admission to complete the on-line transfer credit application.
See details at Make sure to pay the fee and initiate the assessment process as soon as possible. It is useful to know the assessment before course selection begins although this is not always possible. If transfer credits are not resolved by the end of the first year, then further registration will be blocked.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

How and when do I choose my courses?

Course selection takes place on-line at ROSI The first day of course selection will depend on your year of study (first year, second year, third year etc) For 2014 2015 details see
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Prerequisites for 100 level courses

Many 100 level courses don’t have prerequisites but the standard introductory courses in BIO, CHM, MAT and PHY assume that you have a solid Grade 12 background in the subject. Check the prerequisites carefully. If you don’t have the prerequisites you should not enroll in these courses.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Can I take a 200 level course in first year?

You may take a 200 level course in first year as long as it has no prerequisite or if you have the prerequisite as a transfer credit. However, you have to keep in mind that many second year courses give priority to second and higher year students in particular programs and you may have to wait until August 8 before trying to enroll. Check the enrollment control for each course which you want to take.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Fees for 2014-2015

Fall/winter fees are posted automatically on ROSI for all students eligible to select courses for the upcoming fall/winter. They are usually posted before course selection actually begins. For full details about fees and fees payment or deferral, refer to The initial payment ought to be made by August 19, 2014. Students deferring their fees ought to meet the same deadline. Students who have not paid or deferred their fees by August 19 will receive a series of e-mail prompts including instructions about how to complete a late payment/deferral.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Choosing a program (i.e. selecting a major)

Students admitted into first year are not in a program. The only newly admitted students who could be in a program are transfer students admitted into second or third year.
You will enroll in one or more programs (minors, majors, specialists) at the end of the semester in which you pass your fourth full credit. For most new students who pass 4 or 5 courses in first year, this means that you will choose your programs in April at the end of your first year. For a comprehensive list of all programs see Type 1 programs are open enrolment, Type 2 and 3 programs require application. If a program requires application it means that there is some course (or more than one course) which you have to take in first year.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

What if I enroll in U of T and then drop all my courses and want to come back the next year?

If a student drops all courses or completes courses with only the notation (LWD) the student must re-apply for admission. Re-admission is not guaranteed since the admission cut offs vary from year to year. If a student completes even one half course in the Faculty with any grade – including a failing grade, they are eligible to continue in the Faculty without re-applying.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

I can’t enroll in courses at all. Why not?

1. You may be trying to select courses before your start time. Start times are determined by your year of study. Year of study is determined by the number of credits you have and not by the number of years you have actually been in attendance.
See details at

2. If you are a second year student, you may not be in a correct combination of programs (POSts)
See details at
At the end of first year every student must enroll in 1 specialist or 2 majors or 1 major and 2 minors. This means that the program must be “active”. It is not enough to be “requested” or “invited”. Check your programs on ROSI.
3. If you owe money to the university, you may be blocked from choosing courses. University policy is that fall/winter tuition and residence charges must be paid in full by the end of April and summer charges must be paid in full by the end of August. Students with significant unpaid obligations are blocked from selecting courses until all financial obligations are paid in full. Check your financial account on ROSI.
4. If you have been away from the university for a year, your file may be in-active.
If you have been out of the university for a full 12 months (May- April or September-August) your file becomes in-active and you can’t select courses.
In order to re-activate your file you need to submit to the SMC Registrar’s Office a Re-Registration form and pay a $24 fee. See details and the form at
You can bring the form to our office and pay the $24 in cash or by debit/credit card
If you can’t come in to the office, you can send us a scanned copy of the form and pay by credit card.
5. You may have outstanding transfer credit issues. If a transfer student does not take care of all outstanding transfer credit matters during their first year, the Transfer Credit Office will block access to courses selection.
6. You may have been suspended for poor academic performance. Suspension can be for 1 year, 3 years or permanent. Check your status on ROSI
Last updated July 29, 2014.

I can enroll in some courses but not every course I want. Why not?

The most likely explanation is that you do not enjoy priority for the course you can’t get into or there may be some other enrolment restriction in place.
Check the course schedules at
Choose the department and look up the individual course. Look at the far right of the line and see if there is an enrolment indicator (Ind) and control. This will be a letter like P, R or E. If there is an Indicator of any sort, then click on “See Details” to see the conditions or read the instructions at the top of the departmental schedule.
For a full explanation read htttp://
The P (or priority) control is temporary. It is removed at 6 am on August 6, 2014
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Students can enroll in up to 6.0 courses. Why can’t I enroll in 6.0 courses?

In the first part of the registration cycle you can select only 5.0 courses. This includes courses which are wait listed,
On August 6, 2014 you can add a 6th course.
It is important to be prudent about course load. While 6.0 is permitted, we don’t normally recommend it for most students and we actively discourage it in first year. 5.0 courses is traditional full time for good reason. It is what most students can reasonably handle. 6.0 is usually too much especially if you are trying to keep your grades up.
Students admitted on probation may enroll in only 5.0 courses.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

If I am on a wait list, will I get into a course?

There is no straight answer but it helps if you look at your ranking on the list and the size of the course. If you are 25 on the list and there are 800 spaces in the course, your chances are quite good. On the other hand, if you are 25 on the list and there are only 50 students in the course, your chances are quite poor.
Generally speaking, it is reasonable to leave yourself on the wait list if 10% attrition from the course would get you in.
Be realistic about your use of wait lists. If you are so far down a list that there is no serious chance of getting in, then you are giving up an opportunity to be in another course.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

I need a form completed for my RESP or Education Savings Plan

Submit your request to the Office of the Registrar in Alumni Hall. We handle hundreds of these forms a year but we don’t produce them until after you have selected your courses.
If your plan requires that you move from one year to the next (ie from first year into second year), then we use the Faculty of Arts and Science definition of year. See the definition at

Occasionally a student may be in their second year at the university but will still be considered a first year student because they did not complete enough credits in first year.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

I need a letter confirming that I am a full time student so that I can be covered under my parent’s extended health insurance plan.

Submit your request to the Office of the Registrar in Alumni Hall.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

If I have extended health/dental/drug coverage through my parents can I get a refund on the university health plan premiums?

Very often - yes. See details at

If you are a full time student, look at UTSU – St. George Campus. The two health premiums are about $130 a term or $260 for both terms. You have to complete the opt-out form on line by the deadline in early October. The refund cheque is issued by UTSU (not by the University of Toronto) and is usually mailed in February.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

I was admitted for the fall session but would like to take a course in the summer?

This is possible only if all your final grades from Grade 12 (or equivalent) or your final post secondary grades have been submitted and you have satisfied all the conditions of your admission. Contact the Registrar, Damon Chevrier, at if you wish to explore this possibility.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

Importance of checking e-mail on a regular basis

The Faculty of Arts and Science and SMC both send e-mail on a regular basis. Some students check all of it and some ignore all of it.
Ignoring e-mail from the university is a bad idea. It is like not opening your mail box or answering your phone. Maybe you think much of the mail is uninteresting but every now and then there may be something of real consequence. We expect you to open e-mails and read them at least twice a week if not on a daily basis.
Last updated July 29, 2014.

What is a T-Card? How do I get one?

The T-Card is your U of T student card You will use it as a library card, athletic facilities membership card and general identification. Students who have accepted their offer of admission should check the T-Card site at for hours of operation and location. New admitted students will be able to obtain their T-Card as early as June. Everyone should have their T-Card by mid September
Last updated July 29, 2014.