In 1978, St. Michael’s College entered into a contractual relationship with the University of Toronto whereby most degrees given within the Toronto School of Theology are conjointly conferred by the individual member colleges and the University of Toronto. As of 1 May 1979, the Faculty of Theology assumed governing responsibility for the Master of Arts (MA in Theology) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD in Theology) programs formerly conducted by the Institute of Christian Thought.
We are a Faculty engaged in the exploration and proclamation of the mystery of God in contemporary culture. Our mission of teaching, service, research, and publication is accomplished in two spheres. First, within St. Michael’s and the wider Toronto School of Theology community, we are committed to excellence in our programs. Second, and more broadly, the Faculty serves four communities: the University of St. Michael’s College in the University of Toronto, the academy, the Church, and society.
The Faculty of Theology also reflects the diversity of the Church and Canadian society. Faithful to the Second Vatican Council, we nourished by approaches emerging from our globalized context, including, ecumenical, liberationist, feminist, ecological and interreligious concerns.
The Faculty strives to be a centre of excellence in theological studies and ministerial leadership for the renewal of the Church and the transformation of the world. We are committed to create a community of hospitality, equality, collegiality, and justice for all. The future of the Faculty is shaped by our discernment of the evolving character and needs of the Church.
Programs of Study
The Faculty of Theology currently offers nine degree and two diploma programs:
Basic Degree Programs
- Master of Divinity (MDiv)
- Master of Theological Studies (MTS
- Master of Religious Education (MRE)
- Master of Arts in Catholic Leadership (MACL)
- Diploma in Religious Education (DipRE) is designed for persons involved in the ministry of religious education, either formally or informally.
Advanced Degree Programs
- Master of Theology (ThM)
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin)
- Master of Arts in Theology (MA in Theology)
- Doctor of Theology (ThD)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD in Theology)
- Diploma in Religious Education (DipRE)
- Diploma in Theological Studies Program (DipTS)
- Certificate of Specialization in Theology and Ecology