Closed for Applications
The University of St. Michael’s College, federated with the University of Toronto, is a Catholic institution of higher learning founded by the Congregation of St. Basil, whose motto, “Teach me goodness, discipline and knowledge,” sets the tone for campus life. Committed to the pursuit of knowledge, meaning and truth, USMC is a dynamic centre where Catholic intellectual life thrives in a context of academic freedom and rigorous debate. The University of St. Michael’s College boasts a large and dynamic undergraduate division, a Faculty of Theology and one of the busiest and most important libraries on the University of Toronto Campus.
Under the general direction of the Bursar and CAO and in collaboration with other members of the office, the Director, Conference Services is responsible for the development and overall profitability of the business unit, overseeing conferences, film shoots, summer housing and camps. This includes from the beginning of a project to final reporting, this position requires that total satisfaction of the client is provided as well as enhancing the professional image of the Conference & Event Services and the University of St. Michael’s College. Oversight of all food services from third party vendors is required to ensure a standard of quality. The Director, Conference Services will work with the Dean of Students to ensure food provided to students through meal plans are meeting those standards. The Director, Conference Services will also provide direction and implement all standards and duties of conferences and events.
- Conference & Event Services — Supervised by: Bursar & CAO
- $75,000–$85,000 /year
- 35 hours / week
- How to Apply
Attention: Human Resources (please include position title in subject line of email when submitting resume and cover letter)
- Develops strategy, vision, goals and objectives for the business unit
- Regularly reviews available campus resources and creates summary reports which detail results relevant to current campus conditions
- Conducts research on best practices and makes recommendations to Bursar about options and alternatives to current arrangement
- Reviews existing conference service client contracts and proposes revisions to ensure the interests of USMC are met and potential legal liabilities are mitigated
- Actively manages the cycle of client recruitment, creation of detailed schedules and the operationalization of contractual commitments and client invoicing
- Develops communication tools such as brochures, targeted leaflets, trade journal advertisements, content for website and videos to highlight the USMC campus
- Maintains client database and actively manages the inventory of clients through effective communication
- Works closely with food services provider over client catering requirements to ensure consistently high standards
- Develops and deploys conferences, film shoots, summer housing and camps
- The Supervisor, Conferences reports to the Director, Conference Services and establishes work priorities and procedures for full time and casual support staff
- Oversees summer housing and camp clients, including managing contracts, determining space needs and receiving feedback from client
- Develops proposals to generate revenue outside of the department including, but not limited to, ancillary services
- Keeps up-to-date daily on the status of all his/her conferences and meetings and client relationships
- Responds to incoming mail and messages
- Plans, monitors and reports on budgets, as well as status for each conference
- Manages client relationships to enhance the image of Conference & Event Services
- Up-sells Conference & Event Services and related products to produce future business
- Problem solving and conflict resolution
- Develops, implements and standardizes departmental policies
- Writes proposals and responds to requests for proposals
- Prepares timelines, critical path and monitors these activities throughout the duration of the project
- Prepares and maintains the budget and all financial procedures
- Acts as the local StarRez power user for USMC
- Spearheads upgrades and additions to the StarRez database
- Develops, manages and executes contracts
- Other duties as assigned and a willingness to work evenings and weekends
Responsible for the overall strategic planning, event coordination, and evaluation of the business unit. Responsible for full time and temporary work force. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with USMC policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding / disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Collaborates with other departments and operational staff to ensure a high quality event delivery.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this job description are representative of the knowledge, continuous proactive skill and/or ability required.
A business administration degree or diploma is required. 3-5 years of experience in the conference and event management field managing small and large groups, marketing and/or a combination of relevant education and experience. Previous supervisory experience is required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business materials, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals and proposals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts and to apply mathematical concepts to understand financial statements, budgets and cash flow.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of St. Michael’s College is committed to equity in employment and diversity. If you require accessibility accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Officer at 416-926-7101 or email@example.com.