A New Vision for Catholic Theological Education
Latest Update: Boards Approve Regis-St. Michael’s Federation MoA
On October 20th, the Regis Governing Council and USMC Collegium each approved the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between Regis College and the University of St. Michael’s College, and authorized the respective board chairs to sign on behalf of the governing bodies. The signing of the MOA took place on Friday, October 22nd.
The agreement provides for the federation of Regis College and the University of St. Michael’s College for the purpose of “forging a world-class centre of excellence in Catholic theological study, whose mission is to promote teaching, research and formation to serve the needs of the Church and society, in Canada and globally” (Regis-USMC MOA).
Responsibility for the implementation of the agreement will rest with an Oversight Committee composed of the presidents and board chairs of both institutions. Informed by consultations with faculty, administration, and students, the inaugural academic program under the federation will be implemented for the 2022-2023 academic year.
The full Memorandum of Agreement can be found here.
- Regis College, St. Mike’s join forces (The Catholic Register, Oct. 29, 2021)
- Regis-USMC Steering Committee establishes Advisory Sub-committee (Aug. 27, 2021)
- Theology schools step closer to merger (The Catholic Register, June 27, 2021)
- Federation Between Regis College and University of St. Michael’s College Takes Important Step Forward (June 17, 2021)
- Progress Report from the Steering Committee (April 23, 2021)
- Regis-St. Mike’s merger takes big steps forward (The Catholic Register, March 25, 2021)
- An Update on the Alliance (March 16, 2021)
- Regis, St. Mike’s Alliance in the Works (The Catholic Register, Oct. 24, 2020)
About the Alliance
On September 25, 2020, representatives from Regis College and the University of St. Michael’s met for a preliminary conversation about a closer relationship.
The Steering Committee established five sub-committees to explore the potential forms of a Regis & St. Michael’s future alliance.
About Regis College
Regis College is the Jesuit Faculty of Theology at the University of Toronto and one of North America’s Roman Catholic ecclesiastical faculties.
About the University of St. Michael’s College
The University of St. Michael’s College is a Catholic institution of higher learning that is federated with the University of Toronto, one of the world’s leading research universities.