International Student Experience

The University of Toronto is made up of an extremely diverse student body, with nearly 24,000 international students, as well as students from all over Canada. Approximately 35% of our St. Michael’s College student body is international, with students coming from 168 countries and regions. 

The City of Toronto is also incredibly diverse. Nearly half of Toronto’s 2.8 million residents were born outside of Canada. Toronto’s living mosaic continues to draw the best and the brightest, who come here seeking world-class business, culture, entertainment and education in one of the safest cities in the world.

Centre for International Experience
In addition to the information on this page, all International Students are encouraged to become familiar with the resources and tools offered by the University of Toronto’s Centre for International Experience.

Immigration Advising Appointments with the CIE may be reserved through Folio.

Before you arrive at UofT to begin your first year of study, there are many things you will need to do!

There are also some things that you might want to learn more about and consider doing, these are not mandatory but it is encouraged you learn about them!

Studying in Canada for many international students, can require a special study permit. To determine if you will need a study permit, use the Centre for International Experience’s (CIE) tool for answering this question, “Do I need a Study Permit?”

Also on this page, you can find helpful information on how to apply for a study permit, as well as expected timelines and dates to keep in mind.

While attending UofT for studies, many International Students also desire to work on or off campus, which may require a work permit or other documentation. Depending on the type of work, on or off campus, you may need to apply for different permits. The Centre for International Experience (CIE) has put together helpful tutorials for students to review when determining which permits to apply for.

If you choose to work, a very helpful resource for you to become familiar with is the Career & Co-Curricular Learning Network (CLNx) which includes details about our Work Study Program, for students to apply for positions to work on campus. To learn more, click here.

  • With the exception of American citizens, as an international student, you will need to have either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV – also known as a visitor or entry visa) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), in addition to the relevant study or work permit.
  • Whether you need a TRV or eTA depends on your country of citizenship. The Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website can help you identify whether a visa is required for entry into Canada.
  • A successful study or work permit application made outside Canada will automatically include a TRV or eTA (if required).
  • The Centre for International Experience (CIE) has created several helpful videos and resources to aid in pursuing Immigration documents and visas, and also offer Immigration Advising appointments with their in-house advisors.

Contact us to receive guidance with academics and finances or to be connected with the support you need.
The Office of the Registrar and Student Services is your first stop for academic advice. Here, students will find highly professional advisors with a wealth of experience in all areas of academic life at the University of St. Michael’s College and at the University of Toronto.

Assistance with registration, course selection, program selection and scheduling is available. In addition, advisors can provide students with guidance regarding workloads relative to other aspects of their time on campus.

If you have an enquiry email

For a list of drop-in appointments available, visit:  

The University of Toronto Offers Accessibility Services for students who may require accommodations throughout their time at the University. You can apply for accessibility accommodations following the instructions here. Learn more about Accessibility Services below!

Join us for drop-in style tutoring with a Math and Computer Science tutor at Brennan Hall, 81 St. Mary Street at the tables around the corner from the Office of the Registrar and Student Services. Tutoring is not available during the Summer Session, Reading Week or holidays.

The Math Success Centre will be offered weekly during the Fall/Winter Session.
Registration and schedules will be available in Fall 2024.

The Computer Science Success Centre will be offered weekly during the Fall/Winter Session.
Registration and schedules will be available in Fall 2024.

Reserve a 30-minute one-on-one session with a research librarian or writing instructor to receive support on how to understand, plan, and organize an assignment. Schedule a consultation by visiting Writing and Research.

Writing Help drop-in hours are also available and will resume in September 2024.

The Kelly Library also offers a Personal Librarian Program, where all first- and second-year St. Michael’s College students are paired with a personal librarian to help navigate resources and build research skills. To find the name of your personal librarian, click here.

Visit the John M. Kelly Library at 113 St. Joseph St to search for books and articles throughout U of T’s library system, find course material and book study rooms and consultations for research support.

St. Michael’s College has an embedded Learning Strategist team. Our learning strategists offer virtual appointments and are here to provide guidance on goal setting, time management, understanding assignments, effective reading, test and exam preparation, and developing impactful writing strategies.

Book a 50-minute appointment via SMC Learning Strategy Appointments.

Getting comfortable using English is an essential skill that will help you ease into your experience at the University.
English Language Learning (ELL) supports all U of T undergraduates enrolled in the Faculty of Arts & Science whose first language is not English (multilingual students), as well as native speakers seeking to improve their English language skills. ELL’s mini courses and other activities are designed and taught by U of T instructors and are free.
For further information, please visit the ELL website.

Incoming students: Please note that you will need a U of T email address to register for courses. Visit the TCard website for instructions on how to activate and set up your UTmail+ account.

Upcoming Summer 2024 Courses: Scholarly Reading eWriting Intensive
August 26 – 30, 2024 (online asynchronous)
In this free five-day intensive online course, you will work on reading and writing using scholarly articles on a variety of unique topics. You will receive valuable feedback on your work and learn how to improve your reading and writing skills.
Registration will open on July 29, 2024.

Finding accommodations while you are attending the University of Toronto is an important part of your University experience. There are many options available to you, and deciding between them will come down your own personal choice about location, accommodation type, duration of stay, and finances. Click through some of the options below for more details and to determine which option is right for you!

St. Michael’s College offers several wonderful residence spaces on campus for students looking to live at the University! There are many benefits to living in residence including proximity to campus, built-in meal plans, access to services and supports, and integrated community programming. To learn more about St. Mike’s Residence offerings, and how to apply, click here.

There are numerous residence spaces at St. Michael’s, all which offer access to shared washrooms, laundry, common rooms, and are supported by an Upper Year student who lives in the community, known as a Don, who plans programs and events for their community regularly! With all of these amenities, living in St. Michael’s is a great choice for students new to Toronto!

There are many types of Off-Campus Housing options available to students, including apartment buildings, condominiums, houses, and community residences specifically for post-secondary students.

To aid in searching for housing, the University of Toronto has created an off-campus housing network where you can search for accommodations, roommates, and more.

Finding a place to live, especially while searching from abroad can be a big challenge, so we recommend watching this webinar hosted by the Housing Services team at UofT, walking you through the best tips and things to consider!

There are multiple modes of transportation in the City of Toronto:

Commuter Coordinators

The Commuter Coordinator program is made up of a group of upper year students hired to help commuter students become familiar with transportation as they travel to and from campus, as well as host events and activities for commuters to participate in throughout their time on campus! They have a lounge in Brennan Hall that is always stocked with snacks, drinks, a fridge, microwave, toaster, and a giant TV for watching your favourite shows!

Safety while getting around is important, become familiar with the resources below to keep you safe!

Paying Your Tuition and Residence Fees from Outside Canada?

The University of Toronto has authorized fee payment service providers Convera and Flywire to process incoming international student tuition and residence fee payments for the University.

Log into ACORN to see the two fee payment service providers on the “How to Make a Payment” page and click on the Convera or Flywire links. For more details, visit the Student Accounts webpage.

We recommend saving the University of Toronto’s Fees Webpage link so you can easily refer to it and never miss a due date.

If you have questions or concerns related to fees and payments, please reach out to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services at to be connected with an advisor for support.

The Office of the Registrar & Student Services at St. Mike’s houses information and resources regarding the various scholarships, bursaries, and grants available to International students seeking additional funding support. Please visit their page to learn more about each of these options.

Health insurance plans, including both UHIP and the UTSU Health & Dental Plan outlined in the tabs below, are a subscription that students are automatically enrolled in, wherein the insurer covers part of the cost associated with various health and dental procedures that students may need. Understanding the types of plans you have and what is covered is essential as you prepare to study at UofT.

Students are automatically enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). The coverage charge will be listed on your invoice in ACORN. UHIP coverage is operated by Cowan Manulife Insurance.

To find out what is covered by the UHIP plan, click “What is covered by UHIP?”

It is very important that students register for their plan within the first couple weeks of school as illness and injury is never planned and cannot be predicted. The following instructions have been taken directly from the U of T student Life site: How to Get your UHIP Card 

For additional details about UHIP and claim forms, visit the UHIP service page.

The UTSU administers a Health & Dental Plan for all full-time undergraduate students, providing some of the best mental health and dental coverage in Canada when compared to other student association plans. The plan provides full or partial coverage for many services not covered by provincial health care. International Students are covered by the UTSU Health Plan and the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

To find out what is covered by the UTSU Health & Dental Plan click here, “What is Covered by the UTSU Health & Dental Plan?”

The Health & Dental Plan fees are charged on a compulsory basis as part of your tuition, although students may opt-out if they are able to provide proof of other extended health insurance coverage. This means that if you’re already covered by an equivalent health and dental plan, such as a parent’s or spouse’s employee benefit plan or a plan provided by your band council or through Health Canada, you can opt-out of this plan.

To learn more about your coverage, how to make a claim, and other details about your plan, please see below, or visit the UTSU page at

The University of Toronto, and the University of St. Michael’s College have created numerous resources as well as a curated list of off-campus resources to help support you and your mental well-being. Learn more about some of these below.

CALL 911 if at immediate risk.

  • If you are: feeling desperate and hopeless, worried you might hurt yourself, someone else, or having suicidal thoughts, alone with no one to talk to or
  • If you have: made a plan, the means to hurt yourself or someone else (e.g. pills or a weapon), attempted suicide, or hurt yourself before.

U of T My SSP

If you are in Canada or anywhere else in the world, you can call or text with a counselor at U of T My SSP: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and service is available in 146 languages over the phone, and 35 languages over chat. Call 1-844-451-9700 (outside of North America: 001-416-380-6578) or download the My SSP app to chat with a counselor.

Download the My SSP app: Apple App Store | Google Play.

Navi, Your Mental Health Wayfinder

This virtual agent (Navi) is an anonymous tool that provides you with information to help you navigate mental health resources and make decisions about seeking appropriate support.

St. Mike’s Wellness Counsellor, Nicole Lacy, MSEd, RP.

All students and residents of St. Michael’s are welcome to set up a counseling appointment by emailing

St. Mike’s Health & Wellness Resource Page

A comprehensive list of resources both on and off campus for students in distress can be found here.

Equally important to maintaining mental wellbeing, is your physical health. Upon arriving to Canada you may want to learn more about the following resources for supporting Physical wellbeing.

  1. Register for a Family Doctor – Family doctors in Canada can aid you in various ailments and assist with regular check-ups and support throughout your time with a consistent doctor. To find a family doctor click here.
  2. Familiarize yourself with nearby Walk-In-Clinics Walk-in-Clinics accept visits from patients experiencing most ailments, and are a great option if you do not have a family doctor, or your illness is not immediately severe enough for the Emergency Room at a hospital.
  3. Familiarize yourself with nearby Hospitals – Hospitals (equipped with Emergency Rooms) accept visits from patients who are experiencing severe or emergency symptoms related to an illness. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, you can visit the emergency room at a nearby hospital, or call 9-1-1 to be connected with an Ambulance.
    • Call 911 when you need emergency care for symptoms like:
    • loss of consciousness
    • pain not relieved by pain medication
    • confusion
    • persistent, severe chest pain
    • breathing difficulty
  4. Get connected with UofT Health and Wellness – there are resources and information that may be helpful to you if you are unwell, that you can navigate on the UofT Health and Wellness site.

Campus Ministry

At the University of St. Michael’s College, faith, religion, and spirituality are valued and engaged not only in the classroom, but across many aspects of the life of St. Michael’s community. Embracing these human realities and reflecting on their meaning is at the core of the Catholic Intellectual tradition, of which St. Michael’s is a part.

Multi Faith Centre

At the University of Toronto, the Multi Faith Centre is another resource for spiritual exploration and wellbeing. They provide an inclusive space for you to engage in community, where you can learn, grow and explore diverse cultural and spiritual perspectives.

St. Mike’s Wellness Studio

The Wellness Studio at St. Michael’s College is a space which promotes overall wellbeing of the mind, body, and soul. In this space, weekly programming of small class sizes will be offered to students as an opportunity to unwind, reflect, build strength and skills, and meditate.

All classes operate on a drop-in basis, to view the weekly schedule and indicate your interest in classes, sign up here.

St. Mike’s Exercise Room

The St. Michael’s College Exercise room is open to students, staff, faculty, and Alumni of the college for a $20 fee per semester.

Located in St. Michael’s College, Muzzo Family Alumni Hall, 121 St. Joseph Street, Toronto ON, M5S 3C2.

To access this space, please complete the registration form and waiver, and pay the fee here.

UofT Athletic Facilities

The Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education operates a range of activity spaces for sport and recreation, academic and research programs, and programs for children and youth across our facilities:

University of Toronto students pay mandatory athletic incidental fees and are a priority in our Sport & Rec facilities; they inform and govern our decision-making processes involving the provision of sport and recreational programs and services.

UofT Sport and Rec @ Home

Looking for a quick, high-intensity workout that can be easily done at home? Check out these quick and modifiable body-weight exercises that you can do anytime, anywhere!

Campus Life

Finding community on campus can seem like a daunting task, especially since UofT has over 90,000 students each year studying together. However, here at St. Mike’s through Campus Life, we know there is a home for you, whether you find your group through sports, arts, social issues, student government, movies, music, or something else!

At any given time throughout the Academic year, there are events and activities happening on campus just for you. It can sometimes be intimidating to come to an event where you may not know anyone, so many of our events are drop-in style, which allows you to come by at any time during the event without needing to commit to the entire time!

Check out what is happening on campus this week, on our Student Life Calendar!

You can also check out our other programs and activities below to connect with groups of students based on interest, culture, passions, and service!

UofT is also home to so many student groups and organizations built to celebrate various cultures and backgrounds! To connect with students who come from the same community as you, or speak the same language, search on the Student Organization Portal!

Campus Ministry

At the University of St. Michael’s College, faith, religion, and spirituality are valued and engaged not only in the classroom, but across many aspects of the life of St. Michael’s community. Embracing these human realities and reflecting on their meaning is at the core of the Catholic Intellectual tradition, of which St. Michael’s is a part.

Residence Life

For students living at St. Michael’s College in residence, there is a wide variety of programming and opportunities for connection available! Connect with the SMRC or Residence Staff team below to learn more about upcoming activities and opportunities to connect.

St. Michael’s College Student Union (affectionately, SMCSU), is the official Student Government at the University of St. Michael’s College, and serves the undergraduate population at St. Mike’s through programming, initiatives, and advocacy work. The council is an elected body, made up of 13 members, through elections held each spring.

To learn more about SMCSU and upcoming events and opportunities to get involved check out their Instagram, or Website

Each year, SMCSU elects one student to the role of Vice President of International Community Outreach, whose mandate is to support the needs of the International student population at St. Mike’s. To learn more about this role and the activities that they will host, follow them at You can also email them at

For International Students in their final year, there are some important considerations to keep in mind!

Post Graduation Work Permit: for soon-to-be graduated, or recently graduated international students, there is an option to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit which can aid graduates to remian in Canada while looking for work after graduation. To review eligibility requirements and steps for applying, head over to the CIE’s PGWP Guide.

UofT’s Career Exploration & Education team is committed to helping all students navigate the transition from student to your post-graduate life. Connecting with the Career centre has three major benefits:

  • Options: Meet employers, industry experts and alumni.
  • Strategies: Identify goals and navigate career decisions.
  • Resources: Improve your resume, interviews and online presence.

Learn more about what the Career Centre has to offer here!

Right here at SMC, we offer various programs throughout the academic year geared toward supporting soon-to-be graduates.

The Office of the Dean of Students offers two Grad Weeks, typically in October and February each year, featuring networking socials, workshops, and events to help students discover the many pathways open to them after graduation. To learn more about these programs and specific dates, check out the Student Life Calendar, or follow us on Instagram @UStMikesStudents

The Office of the Registrar and Student Services offers a Career Month annually in February, including workshops, alumni panels, and more! Check here, under the tab for Career Support for registration details annually.