One of the best things about living on campus is not having to worry about grocery shopping, food preparation, cooking your meals, or cleaning up afterward — leave all those time-consuming duties to us! At SMC, all residents — without exception — are required to have a meal plan because there are no cooking facilities in any of the dorms. The oak-paneled Canada Room provides a stately setting in which to enjoy your meals, and our newly renovated servery offers a variety of different food stations:
- The Kitchen – Hearty entrees including vegetarian & halal
- Trattoria – Brick fire oven pizzas, pasta, and flatbreads
- The Grill – Grilled favourites, beef burgers, jerk chicken, BBQ ribs, and more
- Salad Bar – Stocked daily with a wide variety of seasonal ingredients
- Deli Station – Create your own subs and sandwiches
- Dessert Station – Delectable cakes, squares, brownies pies, and pastries
- My Pantry – Here you can cook your own meals in our kitchen cooking station
Meal Plan Options
St. Mike’s residents have two “All You Care to Eat” meal plan options:
- 5 day provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday to Friday
- 7 day provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday to Friday, as well as brunch and dinner on the weekends
Both meal plan options include $50/semester in Flex Dollars.
Hours of Operation*
- Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m.–7 p.m.
- Weekends and Holidays: 10 a.m.–7 p.m.
*NB: Although the Canada Room is open all day, the main entrees are served during traditional meal times.
Canada Room FAQs:
1. What are the hours of operation for the Canada Room?
As in years past, the Canada Room will be open from 7:30 am to 9:00 pm, with hot breakfast items served from 7:30 am – 9:30 am, hot lunch from 11:30 am 3:00 pm, and hot dinner from 4:30 pm – 8:00 pm.
On weekends, brunch will be served from 10 am to 3:00 pm, and dinner will be served from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
2. Will food options be available between the main meal periods?
Yes, soup, salad, cereal, sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, snacks & beverages will be available at all times throughout the day.
4. Will I be able to take my meal out of the Canada Room?
No, the Canada Room offers dine-in meals only. If you have a class or extracurricular conflict with meal times, you may pick up a packaged meal at an earlier meal time. For example, if you have class during dinnertime and are not able to return to the Canada Room for dinner, you can pick up a packaged dinner at lunchtime. To request a packaged meal, please inform the cashier when you enter the Canada Room. They will swipe your meal card twice (once for the current meal and once for the packaged meal).
5. Will the meal plan still be considered “All You Care to Eat”?
In years past, our meal plans allowed students to have unlimited servings but only while they were in the dining hall; this meant students were not permitted to take any food items out of the Canada Room. Students who are dining out are encouraged to take enough food to see them through to the next meal period rather than returning to the Canada Room for seconds to try and reduce wait times. The same is recommended for students who are dining in.
6. Will I be required to wear a mask in the Canada Room?
Students, staff, and faculty are welcome to do what makes them comfortable when it comes to masks! For some, that will mean continuing to wear a mask or face covering, and we ask everyone to respect one another’s choices.
7. How do I gain access to the Canada Room?
As in years past, your T-card will also serve as your meal card. To make entry to the Canada Room as ‘touchless’ as possible, this year we will be asking students to swipe their own meal card when entering. An associate will be available to oversee the swiping process and assist when necessary.
8. Will the Kelly Café in the Library be open in September?
The Kelly Cafe will be open from 8:30am to 3:30pm from Monday to Fridays. Please note that the cafe will be closed on weekends and holidays.
9. Where will hand-sanitizing stations be placed?
There will be a hand sanitizing station located upon entry, a hand-washing station available at My Pantry, and another sanitizing station at the exit.
Contact: Food Service Manager