Residence FAQs

Residence FAQs

Residence FAQs

Got a question about life on campus at USMC? If you don't find the information you're looking for below, please email your question to us, and a member of the SMC Residence team will get back to you. 

Applying to Residence

Accordion Expander Icon

How do I apply to residence?

To apply to USMC Residence, please visit our residence application page here for more information.

Am I guaranteed residence at St. Michael’s for my first year?

Residence is guaranteed for all new full-time students entering their first year of university in an undergraduate program for the first time, provided that they have indicated their interest in residence by completing the University’s common residence application (MyRes) by March 31, 2018 at 11:59pm EST, and have received and accepted an offer of admission by June 1st, 2018.

Students must respond to all deadlines and meet all deposit requirements in order to maintain their eligibility.

What are the residence admissions requirements?

In order to be eligible for residence at St. Michael’s, applicants must be full time U of T undergraduate students.

Returning residents are expected to have a CGPA of 2.2 or higher.

What are my chances of getting into residence if I am an upper year, transfer, exchange or graduate student?

Applicants are admitted in three separate groups in this order:

1) First year students with a Residence Guarantee
2) Returning residents (those currently living at USMC Residence)
3) New students (those who have not lived at USMC Residence before)

The number of rooms remaining after the first two groups have been admitted determines the number of rooms available for the third group. Because the number of applications invariably exceeds the total number of spaces available, many of those who apply may never be contacted. Applications are kept on file on the waitlist in case vacancies arise later in the summer or during the academic year.

Graduate student applicants are automatically added to the waitlist and will only be considered once all undergraduate applications have been assessed.

I’ve heard that St Mike’s is Catholic. Does that mean I have to be Catholic to live there?

St. Mike’s student body reflects the same cultural and religious diversity found in the city of Toronto and you are not required to be Catholic to live here, although there are several Catholic programs and activities on campus for those that are interested.

Can I get a tour of the residence and campus before applying or accepting my residence offer?

Of course! Throughout most of the year, we offer weekly drop-in residence and campus tours department from Elmsley Hall (81 St. Mary Street). Visit our tours page for more information and for the tour schedule.

Do you offer any accommodations for families?

We do not have any family facilities. UofT does have a family housing office which can be reached at (416) 978-8045 or by email at:

Is there a waiting list and how do I get on it?

As vacancies may arise later in the summer or during the actual academic year, we encourage students interested in SMC Residence to apply to our waitlist. Waitlist applicants will only hear back from USMC Residence regarding their application status if we are giving you a Residence Offer of Admission. Applicants may be asked to reconfirm their interest in residence every few weeks to ensure that our waitlist is kept up-to-date. To apply to our waitlist, follow these instructions.

How are room assignments done? Can I get a single room?

Room assignments are completed based on a number of factors including gender, age, program of study, personal habits, hobbies, etc. We highly recommend that you are completely honest when filling out your personal profile on your application to ensure you are paired with a suitable roommate.

Upper years are automatically assigned single rooms.

Freshmen are automatically assigned double rooms. In the event that there are single rooms available after all upper years have been placed in a room, priority freshmen may be assigned a single room if:

1) They are a National Scholar recognized by U of T; or
2) Registered with Accessibility Services; or
3) Have completed at least 1 year at another post-secondary institution prior to attending St. Mike’s; or
4) Are a Varsity athlete on an official U of T team

Is it possible to get a room with a private washroom?

Yes, we have a limited number of rooms with en suite washrooms for an additional $1000 premium on top of the regular residence fees. These are usually reserved for senior residents or residents with medical conditions.

Students who are interested in a room with an en suite washroom can request this on their residence application.

Can I request a specific person to be my roommate?

Yes, you can request someone to be your roommate. The deadline to request a particular roommate is June 1st, 2018. On your residence application, you can request a specific student to be roommates with provided they have also received and accepted a residence offer of admission from USMC.

When will I find out my room assignment?

Room assignments are typically sent out to admitted residents every summer in July. If you were admitted to USMC Residence, be sure to check your email address regularly for updates.

What if I want to switch my room?

We do not facilitate or permit room switches. We kindly ask that you do not inquire as to the possibility of a room switch, as we regret that we will not be able to grant one. We endeavor to place students in their first or second building/room choice, however, we cannot guarantee this.

Will I be able to contact my roommate before move-in day?

We provide all freshmen who are assigned a double room their roommates contact information prior to move-in day so that you can get to know them. This information will not be shared until all room assignments have been completed in July. The information will be view-able on the StarPortal.

What if I decide to cancel my spot in residence before September after I have already accepted the offer?

Should you decide to cancel your spot in residence prior to move-in day, you must contact the Residence Office immediately. Students are subject to our mandatory withdrawal penalties listed here. We recommend that students are positive they want to live in residence before accepting their offer to avoid major financial loss.

What if my Offer of Admission from U of T is revoked after I have already accepted my residence offer?

Penalties are charged for any withdrawal reason, including eviction and a revoked Offer of Admission from the University of Toronto. We highly recommend that students are positive they will meet all of the admissions requirements set out in your Offer of Admission prior to accepting their residence offer to avoid major financial loss.

Are there any special rules or regulations that I should be aware of at USMC Residence?

The policies we encourage potential applicants to be aware of are outlined in our Residence Agreement, Rules of Residence, Residence Alcohol Code, Residence Code of Discipline and the U of T Student Code of Conduct which can all be found here.

Is it advisable to get insurance before moving into residence?

If you are less than 25 years of age, you may already be covered through your parent’s house insurance (check your individual policy for details). We encourage all of our residents to carry personal insurance as the College does not cover students in the event of damaged possessions, loss of property or personal injury.

Do you have floors designated specifically for upper year students?

USMC Residence does not have any floors designated purely for upper year students. Upper year students are placed in single rooms, whereas freshmen are automatically assigned double or triple rooms.

Is smoking allowed in your residence?

Smoking is not permitted in any of our residence buildings.

What kind of support is available for USMC residents?

Every floor in residence is supported by a live in residence Don. Your Don is your first stop when looking for personal or academic help. Your Don can help you with many issues, and if not, can direct you to the appropriate resources. They can provide you with referrals for academic help, counseling, or other personal services.

If you have a question about tuition or academics, please visit the Registrar’s Office, located in Muzzo Family Alumni Hall.

For any questions about residence or USMC student life, please email:

Meal Plans

Accordion Expander Icon

Where is the dining hall at St. Michael’s?

The dining hall, also known as the Canada Room, is located on the second floor of Brennan Hall on the St. Michael’s campus. This is where all USMC residents eat their meals. The Loretto College dining hall is located on the first floor, and it is the only dining hall on campus where the Loretto meal plan can be used.

When is the dining hall open?

The Canada Room’s hours of operation are as follows:

Monday to Thursday – 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Friday – 7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday – 10:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Holidays/Reading Week – 10:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

The Loretto College dining hall is open 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. every day during the residence term.

Where else is my meal plan accepted?

USMC meal plans and Flex Dollars are only valid and accepted on the St. Michael’s Campus. Residence meal plans and any flex dollars cannot be used at other cafeterias on the U of T campus, including the Loretto College dining hall. Loretto residents similarly can only use their meal plans in the Loretto College dining hall.

What are the different meal plans I can sign up for?

USMC offers two types of meal plans:

5 Day Meal Plan -Monday breakfast to Friday dinner + $200 Flex Dollars –  this meal plan allows you to enter the Canada Room as many times as you like during the week, but not on weekends.

7 Day Meal Plan – Monday to Sunday + $200 Flex Dollars – this is the most flexible option and allows you to enter the Canada Room as many times as you would like 7 days a week.

Loretto College offers a single meal plan that is compulsory for Loretto residents. It includes 21 hot entrée meals per week and an open cafeteria where students can also avail themselves of dining facilities between meals.

How many meals are provided?

All of our meal plans are all-you-care-to-eat. You can enter the dining hall associated with your meal plan (the Canada Room or the Loretto College dining room) as many times as you wish when your meal plan is active and eat as much as you want.

What if I can’t make it to a meal because I have class?

If you are missing a meal due to a class conflict, please request a bagged lunch from the cashier in the Canada Room. Loretto residents can request a bagged lunch or late dinner by signing up for one at the Porters Desk by the morning of the day on which they are requesting the lunch or dinner. Instructions for lunch pickup will be provided at the time of the order.

What if I am a vegetarian, vegan, or require a special diet?

We are pleased to offer both vegetarian and Halal meal options. If you follow a special diet or have specific allergies, please be sure to inform the residence office prior to moving in so that necessary arrangements can be made.

Can I opt out of the meal plan?

The meal plan is mandatory for all USMC and Loretto residents with no exceptions – you cannot opt out. The Residence Office will make every effort to accommodate any allergies or dietary restrictions; however, this is not always possible. Please be sure to discuss any dietary restrictions or allergies with the Residence Office prior to finalizing your application for residence.

Is it possible to get a refund for missed meals?

No refunds will be issued for missed meals or unused Flex Dollars. Flex Dollars cannot be used after move-out and do not carry-over to the next academic year in residence.

Residence Fees

Accordion Expander Icon

How do I pay my fees?

The $600 reservation deposit must be paid through the online application and cannot be paid through ACORN/ROSI.

The first and second installments of your residence fees will be loaded onto your ACORN/ROSI account prior to each term and can be paid online (for instructions see: or visit the ACORN Help page and navigate to: Finance). Students are responsible for monitoring their own ACORN/ROSI account balance.

Loretto residents cannot pay residence fees through ACORN/ROSI and must follow the guidelines for payment as outlined in the MyRes portal.

What if I need to defer my fees?

Those students who are relying on OSAP or another government loan, scholarships, sponsorship or tuition waiver deferral must defer their fees on ACORN/ROSI following.  For instructions on deferral, please visit the ACORN Help page and navigate to: Finances –> Defer Fees. If you have successfully deferred your tuition fees, you have also deferred your residence fees. There is no separate deferral process for residence fees.

Is there a service charge on accounts with an outstanding balance?

service charge of 1.5% compounded monthly (19.56% per annum) will be levied by U of T on the 15th of every month to the unpaid balance of the first installment commencing October 17th, 2018 and to the unpaid balance of the second installment commencing December 15th, 2018 until the entire residence account is paid in full.

Are there any extra fees I should be aware of?

All residents are expected to pay “house dues” which usually go toward the funding of social events. At your initial house meeting, your Don will let you know how much you are required to contribute to “house dues.”

All incidental fees for Loretto College residents are included in the total cost, and no additional "house dues" are collected.

Buildings, Rooms and Amenities

Accordion Expander Icon

What is the difference between the different residence buildings at St. Michael’s? What amenities are offered?

Check out our buildings and amenities page for more information.

Does St. Michael’s offer apartment-style housing?

There are no apartment-style residences at St. Michael’s. All of our residences are traditional dorm-style.

Are there any common cooking facilities that students are able to use?

USMC Residence is a traditional dorm style residence with no cooking facilities available. All residents have an all-you-care-to-eat meal plan where you can have your meals in our dining hall, the Canada Room. In the dining hall, there is a “My Pantry” area where residents are supplied with various ingredients and supplies to personally cook individual meals. In addition to this, students are permitted to have microwaves/fridges in their rooms.

Loretto College residents also enjoy a continuous-dining meal plan in the Loretto dining hall, which also includes a "My Pantry" area with ingredients and supplies to prepare individual meals. However, Loretto residents are not permitted to have microwaves or fridges in their rooms.

Do the residence buildings at St. Michael’s have air conditioning? Heat?

All of our residences are heated during the fall and winter months.

Only deluxe buildings (Sorbara Hall, Brennan Hall, Historic Houses) are equipped with air conditioning in the summer and spring months.

Is there internet access in the residence rooms?

All U of T students have internet access. The majority of residence rooms are equipped with ethernet ports for a wired connection, however some rooms do not have a wired connection (the rooms in Upper Brennan Hall do not have a wired connection).

Do I have to bring my own mattress/bedding/pillows/towels?

All residence rooms are equipped with mattresses (we do not allow students to bring their own mattresses). Bedding/pillows/towels are not provided. Residence Linens offers convenient and reliable ordering and delivery of residence essentials.

Loretto College offers the equivalent of Residence Linens service in-house and at no extra fee.

Current USMC Students

Accordion Expander Icon

When are move-in and move-out days?

September: Move-in day for the 2017-2018 Academic Year is: Saturday, September 2nd, 2017 – beginning at 9am. Please see our final instructions package (emailed out in July) for more details and instructions for move-in day.

Please note that we do not accommodate early move-ins, as our residence rooms are fully booked during the summer and our staff are diligently maintaining and cleaning rooms in preparation for your arrival! If you are arriving in Toronto before move-in day and require accommodation, please check the U of T Housing Services Temporary and Summer Housing Page.

December: Residence is closed for the Winter Break as of 11am on Thursday, December 21st, 2017. Students must vacate residence within 48 hours of their last exam in December or by Thursday, December 21st at 11am (latest) if their final exam is on December 20th, 2017. We do accommodate a small number of SMC International Students who have made prior arrangements with our office to stay over the winter break. An additional fee applies for a Winter Break stayover.

January: Students may return to residence on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, anytime after 9 a.m.

April: Students must vacate residence within 48 hours of their last exam in April or by May 1, 2018 at 11 a.m. (latest).

**We often receive requests from students who would like to stay in residence after their check-out date, because they have booked a cost-effective flight departing after their assigned check-out. We strongly encourage students to weigh the cost benefits before making travel reservations, as it is unlikely that our office will be able to accommodate extensions and a student could incur the additional cost of temporary housing/hotel charges between their residence check-out date and flight departure date.**

What if something is wrong with my room?

If you require maintenance to your room, you can contact to request a work order. Be sure to include your full name, room number, a detailed description of the issue, a number you can be reached at, and the most convenient time for the maintenance to be done.

In case of emergency, please contact the Porters Desk at ext. 2099 from the phone in your room.

All maintenance inquiries at Loretto College are handled through the Porters Desk, which can be reached from within Loretto by dialing 0 from any room phone.

What happens if I decide to withdraw from residence?

Early withdrawal from the residence comes with serious financial implications. You must email the Residence Office to submit a written request for withdrawal. You will be provided with a revised invoice outlining the additional fees you will be charged. Please see our Withdrawal Policy for details.

What if I want to switch my meal plan?

Students have until September 30th, 2017 to change their meal plan and flag any food allergies or dietary concerns by the Residence Office. Up until this date, you can upgrade or downgrade your meal plan at no additional charge.

After September 30th, only meal plan upgrades will be permitted and meal plan fees are not pro-rated. You must make your request in writing to:

Please include your full name, student number and the details of the change you would like to make.

Can I live at SMC Residence after my first year?

About 30-35% of SMC residence spaces are reserved for upper year students. During your first year, you will be invited to reapply to residence should you wish to return.

What are the requirements for readmission after first year?

To be readmitted to residence as an upper year student, you must have a CGPA of 2.2 or higher and have a high resident evaluation given by your Don. Loretto College has similar requirements for eligibility for reapplication.

What if I find my roommate and I don’t get along?

Tensions between roommates are sometimes inevitable but are best resolved through open and honest communication. Residents experience roommate conflict are encouraged to speak with their Don.

Am I able to stay at St. Michael’s during the summer months?

The residence term runs from Labour Day until the earlier of (a) 48 hours after the student’s last exam; or (b) the last day of exams on the Faculty of Arts & Science calendar in April, 2018. During the summer, SMC Residence rents out residence rooms for students, and Loretto College rents a small number of rooms to students who lived at Loretto during the preceding year. Please visit our Summer Housing page for more information.